Job Description: Communications Coordinator, Part-Time
Reports to: Executive Director
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in social-services related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience/Background: Prior experience in communications, marketing, community outreach, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. Experience designing promotional or similar materials, writing/editing, and social media management.
Skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills are imperative. Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines. Excellent computer and technology skills. Proficient with Microsoft Office 365, Google Drive, email marketing, and social media networks. Web content development and graphic design a plus.
Special Requirements: Commitment to the program’s mission, goals, and standards. Must have completed CASA of East Tennessee volunteer training or schedule the training upon hire. Must be a minimum of 21 years of age; have a valid driver’s license; submit to a pre-employment screening and criminal background check.
The Communications Coordinator oversees public relations and communications, building public awareness of the organization’s mission to serve abused and neglected children. This position plans and designs communications, and manages the organizational website/blog and social media platforms. The Communications Coordinator provides administrative support and implements special projects for the Executive Director. This position maintains knowledge of community connections and resources, Knox County Juvenile Court functions, and general practices of CASA court staff. This is a part-time position (20-25 hours per week).
● Creatively and effectively communicates CASA of East Tennessee’s mission to serve abused and neglected children to community organizations, volunteer programs, general public, donors, and media outlets.
● Manages organizational communications across social media platforms, website, press releases, e/mailings, and other promotional materials.
○ Leads planning, writing and managing of newsletters, blog posts, and email updates.
○ Drafts, distributes and pitches news releases, stakeholder letters, and other stories.
○ Designs flyers, graphics, e-vites and other marketing materials.
● Collaborates with staff on new ideas, directions, and venues for marketing and outreach.
● Partners with area organizations to build awareness through events and other initiatives.
● Creates and implements outreach plans for community awareness.
● Supports donor relations, database management and donor-specific communications.
● Builds capacity through administrative support, opportunity research, and special projects for Executive Director.
● When other staff is unavailable, serves as backup for onboarding new volunteers. Assists at Court as necessary.
● Compiles and prepares statistical information as required for grant reporting, CASA membership, and Knox County Juvenile Court needs.
● Adheres to CASA of East Tennessee personnel policy and procedures and Court policy and procedures. Acts as a role model both within and outside Court.
● Possesses the ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all people in the child welfare system, i.e., judicial staff, service providers, DCS, foster parents.
● Demonstrates an attitude of respectful, non-judgmental, and empathetic behavior toward the families and children we serve, being sensitive to values and beliefs of different cultures.
● Represents CASA of East Tennessee in a professional manner in dealing with others and works to build and maintain constructive working relationships.
● Maintains a positive and respectful approach both verbally and in writing with supervisors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside court.
● Performs duties as workload necessitates in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments, meeting department productivity standards.
● Schedule flexibility to be available for nights and weekends as necessary for training and case needs.
● Consistently reports to work on time, prepared to perform duties.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality in all work and case related matters.
Contributions to Operations
● Attends staff meetings and training as required.
● Makes presentations as requested to increase community awareness of CASA’s role in ensuring the best possible outcomes for abused and neglected children in Juvenile Court.
● Supports fundraising efforts of agency by attending and supporting special events.
● Completes reports, timesheets, and all other paperwork on time.
● Assists in locating and engaging/developing relationships with community resources.
● Assists in fostering positive relationships with current donors and developing relationships with potential donors.
● Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
No phone calls, please. Position open until filled.
CASA of East Tennessee's mission is to improve the lives of abused and neglected children through trained volunteers who advocate for safe, permanent, loving homes. CASA provides a much needed extra layer of support for a system overwhelmed with kids who lack stable homes by creating safety and stability through highly trained advocates recruited from within our greater community. CASA volunteers are able to learn about each child from many sources and collaborate with caseworkers and the court to recommend the best, most critical, and effective services for the children while in care and to more quickly achieve permanency.
CASA of East Tennessee is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, handicap, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, or any other categories protected by federal or state law.
How should someone apply?: Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org